Who We Play For (WWPF) is a FL based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded by former FYSA players in memory of their teammate, Rafe Maccarone, who collapsed at soccer practice and died of Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). Over a decade later, by bringing together the national/ international medical experts, WWPF has become the largest heart screening nonprofit in the United States, educating millions on SCA. WWPF has also donated millions of dollars to 500+ schools and athletic programs across Florida and the country. To date, WWPF has currently helped the first 9 school districts in Florida to require ECGs for high school athletes (representing 30% of high school sports in FL).
- Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is the leading cause of death for student-athletes.
- The first symptom for ~ 80% of student-athletes is SCA.
- 1 in 300 youth have a potentially life-threatening, detectible heart condition.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) heart screening is the standard of care for all professional, Olympic, and collegiate athletes because it’s significantly more effective at catching underlying heart conditions.
Thanks to funding and partnership from the Florida Legislature and NASCAR, Who We Play For (WWPF) wants to bring free ECG heart screenings to ALL soccer players in the FYSA who are 10 years old and up.
We are prepared to donate up to $1,000,000 in ECG heart screenings to screen 50,000 kids over the next year on a first come first serve basis.
The purpose of the funds from the Florida Legislature and NASCAR is to help start heart screening programs across our state. The program will be funded for your club this season. The typical cost is $20 per participant. In the future, if we are not awarded funding from the state in subsequent years, we hope this will be something your club will consider continuing. WWPF does NOT go through insurance, as going through insurance for this kind of testing is illegal.
How does it work?
- We work with the club to schedule days to come out to your club and provide non-invasive 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) heart screening to your teams, taking approximately 5 minutes per player. (Here is a quick video demonstrating our seamless screening process)
- Each ECG is interpreted by a pediatric cardiologist volunteering with our nonprofit, and the results are delivered via email and text message back to the families within 3-7 business days.
- Example scenario: We come to your club during a few days of practice. We provide supporting material for the club to help promote. Families can reserve a 10-minute window to be screened and consent online. We can set up anywhere the club has space, like a concession stand/ conference room/ etc.
It’s been an epic year for the mission of Who We Play For, from being featured on Good Morning America to partnering with the MLS, NFL, Damar Hamlin, and all major sports leagues for WWPF’s national bill called the Access to AEDs Act. Here’s a story on Mr. Maccarone, our teammate Rafe’s dad, winning the NASCAR Humanitarian of the Year and a video NASCAR created about our story. We are honored to be working with WWPF this historic year for saving lives and for every kid who never had the opportunity.
If you are interested in working with WWPF please email email@example.com to be contacted by a WWPF team member to take the next steps and choose dates for your club to have your players screened.